Thursday, August 1, 2013

Honey Bee date

My husband loves honey. I think he's even talked about having honey bees someday. When I was growing up my family always had honey around, because our home teacher was a bee keeper. As a child I grew up eating it on sandwiches mixed with peanut butter, but since then I've learned that I also really like it on freshly baked bread. 
For our date, I made challah bread and served it with honey. While we ate the bread I read off "bee" trivia questions that I found online. My husband knew most of the answers, but I think we both learned a few new things. One thing that I think is really interesting about honey bees is that on average each one produces only 1 1/2 teaspoons of honey in their lifetime. Crazy, huh?

I could tell that my husband enjoyed answering the questions and I had fun quizzing him. The warm honey bread turned out great too.

We didn't have time, but it would have been fun to watch the "bee movie" as part of our date, or to tour the honey making process of a bee keeper in our area. I bought clover honey, but they have different flavors at Winco and Roths that would have been fun to try. Maybe next time.

Bee trivia (see pages 73-77) link

Challah bread recipe link

No comments:

Post a Comment