Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Nightmare Before Christmas - Themed Date

Since it's getting close to Halloween, I thought it would be fun to have a "Nightmare Before Christmas" themed date.

First, I surprised my husband with these movie inspired snacks. I had the soundtrack playing in the background. Then, we watched our favorite parts of the movie.

Jack Skellington:

 The cupcakes had a chocolate base with peppermint whipped cream frosting. The marshmallow on top was held up by a toothpick. The neck decoration was a bag tie, cut up and painted with edible ink. My inspiration for the cupcakes came from these two sites - Blog #1, Blog #2.

Graveyard Dip:

The graveyard dip was french onion soup mix combined with sour cream. A dip that my husband and I both love. I used a little bit of food coloring to tent it yellow and an exacto knife to cut out the purple cabbage design. This idea is a spin off of this blogger's mashed potato art.

I found the Halloween tortilla chips aka fright bites at Winco. I was really impressed with them. The picture below is a close up of the Halloween images (bat, ghost, pumpkin) and colors of the chips.

Pumpkin Patch:

The pumpkin patch was made of chocolate pudding, cake crumbs, green colored coconut, and chocolate pumpkins.

Jack O'Lantern

I used edible ink and an orange to create this jack o'lantern. An idea that's been circulating on facebook and pinterest lately.

My husband was pretty impressed with the food/set up and we had fun watching clips of the movie. Here's a link to my favorite part.

No comments:

Post a Comment