Sunday, July 14, 2013

Blindfolded Food Tasting

Last night, my husband & I had the funnest and most creative date yet. It was inspired by the movie "no reservations" where the lady (chef) gets blindfolded by her date and is spoon fed sauces. She then, guesses what ingredients are in the sauces.

The picture to the right is from the European version of the movie "no reservations," not the one starring Catherine Zeta Jones.

We did a simpler version of the date. We bought regular food items at the store to fed each other, instead of using complex sauces. Our two rules for the game were -

 #1.) The food had to be something that we had tasted before, so that we could guess what it was.
#2.) We had to buy food items that the other person would like. Nothing gross, like a spoon full of ketchup.

We started out with $5 each to spend on food items for each other, but we both ended up spending a little over. We also had a week to buy the foods for each other.

Most of what we bought were inexpensive food items from the bulk at Winco & Roth's, but we also bought things from the deli counter, the bakery, produce, etc.

I bought these foods for my husband.
Cheetos
pop rocks
cashews
nutella (snack pack, cause it's cheaper)
One slice of Pepper jack cheese 
Kalamata olive (from Roth's olive bar)
Sour patch kids
Peanut butter filled pretzel bite
licorice jelly bean
Beef jerky
candied ginger
Caramel corn

My husband bought these foods for me.
radish
lemon yogurt
cherry/pomegranate yogurt
sour patch kids
peanut butter filled pretzel bit
One slice of swiss cheese
One slice of cheddar cheese
dried Mango slice
Whopper candy
Reeses peaces candies
Yogurt covered raisens
Cherry
cashew butter

We took turns being blindfolded and tasting food. I was blindfolded first and my husband fed me a bite of each food he had bought for me. After each bite I would guess what I was eating. If I couldn't guess right away, he would give me a few more bites. Then, it was my husbands turn and we played the game the same way for his food tasting.

I was surprised by some of the tastes (tart lemon yogurt for example,) textures, sizes, shapes, and temperatures of the foods I tasted while being blindfolded. That was part of the fun, but I also liked feeding my husband foods while he was blindfolded and watching his expressions.

There was a little bit of cross over with the foods we purchased for each other, but not too much. We did shop at some of the same places.

There were a couple food items that each of us couldn't guess that made the game a little challenging, which was fun.

After we had finished the game, we snacked on the food that was left over and visited. We both really enjoyed our date and agreed that we would have to do it again in the future. I think it would be a fun game for kids to play too.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I am totally doing this for a date night with Drew! Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend and I are going to the coast next weekend.I cant wait to surprise him with this game. What fun this will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a real ability for writing unique content. I like how you think and the way you represent your views in this article. I agree with your way of thinking. Thank you for sharing. asian dating site

    ReplyDelete