Saturday, July 6, 2013

Willamette Valley Fruit Co.

Today, we set out on another surprise date adventure. We visited the Willamette Valley Fruit Company for the first time and tried their pie.

One of the things that I really enjoy about our surprise dates is how my husband tries to unravel the mystery of where we are going beforehand. As we started to drive further out into the valley today, he asked me if we were going to a u-pick farm. Technically this company does have a u-pick farm, so I had to choose my words carefully, so that I wouldn't be lying. I responded by saying, "we will not be picking berries." Then, I told him that I was surprised that he didn't think we were going to a commercial area, lol. As we were driving by a field full of llamas. I guess he thought the chances of us going to the mall were pretty slim at that point.

When we got to the company's store, my husband recognized the brand, because some of our friends recently gave us raspberry jam from there.

I thought the store was pretty small, but I liked it. They sell unique food items and their freezer is full of fruit/berries, pies, cobbler, etc. It kind of reminded me of the Made in Oregon store.
They had an interesting light fixture on display too.
I also noticed that they had a window inside the store looking into the pie factory, so that customers could watch the pie making process.

We slowly made our way over to the small cafe like restaurant inside the store. Their display counter had pies, muffins, scones, and turnovers. 
A slice of pie sells for $1 on weekdays between 9am-11am and you can get a pile of ice cream on top for just .50 cents more.
I would not recommend going to this place on an empty stomach. There were two of us and four pieces of pie...I'll let you do the math. I just couldn't choose between the marionberry and the boysenberry.  My husband got the marionberry and rhubarb/raspberry.

The pies were pretty good, but my husband told me that he likes the pies I make better. What a compliment.

I'm sure we'll go back again. I think it would be fun to bring kids here for some fun, affordable, family time.

No comments:

Post a Comment