Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving Themed Date

I thought it would be fun to celebrate Thanksgiving a few days early, alone, with my husband. We'll get together with my side of the family on the actual holiday.

It seems like every year, around this time, my husband will suggest that we make a turkey cranberry wreath. It's a Pampered Chef recipe. Anyway, I decided to stuff the filling inside this roll recipe and make them look festive...like turkeys. 

I'm pretty proud of myself for coming up with this cute turkey idea, well...except for the feather idea, that came from the ever popular turkey melon appetizer. My husband thought they looked very pinteresty.
To decorate the turkeys face, I used chocolate chips, a carrot and red bell pepper. The actual head is a small roll I baked. Most of the parts were secured with tooth picks or shish kabob sticks.

Here is a picture of the filling that was stuffed inside the rolls. The flavor combination is really good. Oh, I should tell you that I use 3 Tbsp of cranberry sauce instead of dried cranberries. I add an extra Tbsp of honey mustard and I think that is all of the adjustments I make.
For dessert, I made cookies that look like corn. I used this cookie recipe. The corn cookie idea came from pinterest. For the leaves, I used green gum drop like candy instead of fruit roll ups though.
We had an appetizer too. I dyed hummus orange with food coloring and made it look like a pumpkin. I served it with chips that look like thanksgiving fruit baskets.
 Here is a picture of what the table looked like. Well, minus one turkey roll.
Here is a picture of the two I made for our date.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment