Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Ratatouille Themed Date

Ratatouille is one of our favorite animated movies. It has a lighthearted fun storyline that makes me laugh every time I watch it. I like the music and how it's set in Paris too.

For our date, I surprised my husband with this french movie inspired dinner. I had french music (Alizze) playing in the background. We waited until the baby went down before we watched the movie.

Dinner:

I wanted to serve ratatouille like they do in the movie, but I thought it would make a better side dish. So, I bought cordon blue at Roth's grocery for the main dish.
This is how the ratatouille looked before I covered it in cheese. I've included the recipe for it below.
Here's a close up of what it looked like with cheese.
For dessert, I made macarons using this recipe. The cookies are hard to get right, and mine weren't perfect, but I liked the flavor and texture.
 Just this week, before our date, my husband quoted the movie saying, "if I don't love it, I don't swallow." I thought it was so funny/ironic and it made me think to print out the quote and put it on the table for our date.

The date was suppose to be a surprise, but my husband guessed the theme of it when he saw sliced veggies on the counter. I'm not surprised, because I've made ratatouille before, when I was trying to eat more veggies.

The flavor combination between the ratatouille and cordon blue was fantastic. I will definitely make this dinner again. Here is the recipe for the ratatouille I made.

Ratatouille
3 large red potatoes, sliced
1 yellow squash, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp mustard (I used spicy)
1/2 tsp salt

Mix everything together. Put veggies in a single row in the oven. I baked them at 400 degrees and turned them every 10 minutes until they started to brown. When they finished baking, I put them in a glass oven safe bowl, covered them with a cheddar cheese blend and baked the dish until the cheese had melted.

Note - You can cook the veggies at a higher temp (450 to 475.) Just check them often so they don't burn. I cooked them at 400 degrees, because I was cooking them with the cordon blue in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment