Monday, November 11, 2013

Inception Themed Date

Inception is one of our favorite movies. It's a little complicated, but the unique and creative story line really sets it apart from other movies, in my opinion. It had been awhile since we had seen the movie and I felt like it was time to watch it again. I knew my husband would enjoy an "Inception" themed date, so I surprised him with one.

Here is a picture of the movie inspired food I made. I had the soundtrack playing in the background.
The movie is all about dreams. People can share dreams and the person who creates the dream world (maze) is known as the architect.

I thought it would be fun to create a food maze. I used bite size pieces of pizza for the project. I thought about using larger slices, but it would have made the maze too big. My idea for this particular maze came from here (Wikipedia.)

In the movie, dreamers can go into different layers of dreams, which is referred to as a "dream within a dream." Time is faster in the dream world and speeds up with each layer. The characters in the movie go down 4 dream layers to do inception.

For our date, I made a dessert to represent the "dream within a dream" idea. It was a circular peanut butter rice crispy treat. I tented batches of it with food coloring to create layers. See recipe below...
A totem is a small object used by the characters in the movie, to tell whether they are in a dream or not. I used chocolate kisses to make my totems (one on top, one on bottom, glued together with chocolate.)
The quote hanging above the food table is pictured below. Here is a video link to that part of the movie. This video clip may seem odd if you haven't watched the movie. So, I'll explain...dreamers have to die or get a "kick" in order to wake up from their dreams.
One of the props in the movie, is a pinwheel and we happen to have a pinwheel at home. The baby plays with it. I thought it would be fun to put it on the table, but I forgot. I ended up bringing it out during the movie though.
My husband guessed the theme of our date after reading the quote above our table out loud. It was fun to see his reaction. Then we enjoyed the dinner and watched the movie later on that night.

Rice Crispy Recipe
Each layer was made by heating up 2 cups of marshmallows in the microwave for 45 seconds, then adding 2 Tbsp of peanut butter, a few drops of food coloring, and 2 cups of rice crispys.

No comments:

Post a Comment