Friday, September 6, 2013

The Lord of the Rings

I knew that a Lord of the Rings themed date would be a big hit at our house, because we love the movies and my husband has read all the books.

We started out our date in the dining room where I had Lord of the Rings style food set up. I had music from the Lord of the Rings playing in the background too.
I made what looked like elvish lembas bread.
I used fake leaves, from Joanns, that had wires down the center that made them perfect for wrapping. I filled the leaves with cornbread. Other people online have used shortbread recipes to make lembas, which I might try in the future.
I made a stew and attached a sign to it that had Sam's funny potato saying. Here's a video link to that part of the movie.
For dessert, I recreated the Volcano (Mt. Doom) that's in the land of Mordor using brownies and raspberry ice cream.
My husband picked out the hobbit movie to watch afterwards. Probably because it's newer and we haven't watched it as many times as the Lord of the Rings movies.

We both had fun on our date and I could tell that my husband liked it, especially when he first saw everything set up on the table.

I would have liked to recreate the trees (Ents), but I had a hard time coming up with a food idea that would look enough like them. There was a cool idea for making a ring cake too, but we already had a dessert.

I thought about hanging a candy ring on the door with a sign that said "one ring to rule them all," but I ran out of time. Maybe next time when our kids grow up and we introduce them to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment