Monday, September 2, 2013

Salt themed date

Several months ago I went to a cooking class and learned that there are many different flavored salts in the world...maybe even a hundred. Becoming aware of this sparked my interest in trying new flavors. Not too long after, I came across a selection of different flavored salts at Roth's.  So, I decided to surprise my husband with a "salt" themed date.

I bought five different flavors of salt

1) Roasted Garlic
2) Fleur de Sel
3) Spanish Rosemary
4) Black Lava Sea Salt
5) Chili Verde

Then I made up my favorite pretzel recipe, cut the dough into squares and sprinkled each of them with different flavored salts for us to try.
It was interesting to taste the different flavors of salt, but the secondary flavors (rosemary, garlic, chili) were pretty mild.

We both kind of got salted out after awhile of eating the pretzels and wanted to drink a tall glass of water. I was glad that I bought the chocolate sea salt truffles for dessert, because they helped to balance out the salty flavor.
 Then we watched a show from the history channel about salt mining - video link

The video had some interesting parts. We learned about how salt mines were formed, where they are, how salt is extracted, and what else salt mines have been used for.

If I were to do this date again I would probably just buy salty foods that we like - mixed nuts, salted chocolate, etc. We still had fun though.


No comments:

Post a Comment